If, like me, you’re from the UK, you’ll know how lovely and sunny the weather has been for the last few days. It’s as if Spring has come already and it is wonderful. It may just be me, but I find it much easier to be healthy (or at least try to be) when the weather is nice, as opposed to those long cold winter nights where all I want to do is curl up on the sofa and eat my own bodyweight in junk food.
I always fail at trying to stay healthy; I’ll be good for a few days and then give up, but this year I have a very important date in my calendar to act as motivation – my wedding day. I have until the 24th August 2019 to tone up my body and get eating well, I want to look and feel my very best for my big day. My skin is my main issue: it’s very dull and sallow and problematic despite my skincare regime, and I really want clearer skin for my wedding day. I also want to look and feel fit so that my dress fits perfectly and I feel like the princess I so want to be.
Here are five goals that I have set myself to do this!
- Drink more water! I am aiming for 2 litres of water a day at first; I have a water bottle with times of the day on the side to encourage you to drink water. This holds 750ml of liquid and I fill it up twice between the hours of 9 and 6, so I keep this for work. As well as this, I am going to make sure I have a 500ml glass of water in the morning and another in the evening to make it to 2.5 litres. My plan is to do this every day in March to see my progress and if it helps me to feel and look healthier. I’m hoping my skin will look clearer when I am keeping fully hydrated.
- Eating my five a day! I do like most fruit and vegetables, but I’m terrible at not eating enough. I’m starting to incorporate as much fruit and veg as I can, especially for snacking at my desk at work as it is just too easy to reach for the biscuits! It’s so easy to get unhealthy junk food but fruit and veg can often be difficult and time consuming to prepare, but I have to get instagrammable glowing skin for my wedding so it is what it is!
- Exercise! I have a treadmill, I have weights, I have an exercise mat, I have a skipping rope, I have boxing gloves, but do I use them? Absolutely not. Do I need to? Yes if I want to feel fit! I can’t even walk up a flight of stairs without nearly passing out. I don’t want to lose too much weight as I was always underweight as a teenager and I’m finally a healthy him weight now and actually have some curves, but I’d still like to tone up and look and feel reasonably fit. I managed to run for 15 minutes at a reasonable pace this evening, and I’d like to make sure I go for a run at least three days a week. On other days I am aiming to go for a long walk, do some weights, put on a fitness video or do yoga.
- Sleep! The NHS website recommends around 8 hours a sleep each night, but I very rarely get this and to be honest I would struggle to get this on weeknights. At the moment I get between 5 and 6 hours a night, but I want to aim to get at least 7. If I get up at 5.30am, this means I will need to be in bed and asleep before 10.30pm each day. Sounds easy, but I often try and do so much in an evening that I lose track of time and end up going to bed between 11 and 11.30pm. If I want to feel good and improve my skin, I must get a good night’s sleep.
- Take time to look after my mental health. I’ve come to realise that mental health is just as important as physical health. It’s no good taking care of my body without taking care of my mind. I have to ensure I have me time, and practise good self care. Reading a book, writing in this blog, colouring, spending time with family and friends and fiancé, cleaning, going for a walk and having relaxing bath are all ways that help me relax. I am determined to ensure that I will do at least one of these things each day.
So there we have it, five ways in which I hope to get healthy! I have a fitbit which I find extremely useful; it’s great for tracking my steps and exercise, logging how much water I’ve drank and what food I’ve eaten, and it measures my sleep. It’s an absolute godsend and I’d defintely recommend anyone to get one!
Hope you enjoyed the read, and please give me any advice you have in the comments!
Follow my social media: